What Is a Slab Leak, and How Bad Is It?
In simple terms, a slab leak occurs when a water pipe breaks or cracks underneath a concrete slab foundation. In other words, it is a leak that develops in the pipes running below the concrete foundation of a home. Slab leaks are a common problem in homes with concrete slab foundations, and they can cause serious damage to your home. Unlike leaks in visible plumbing fixtures, slab leaks don't present obvious signs like water pooling or dripping. This makes it harder for homeowners to identify a problem.
Causes of Slab Leaks
There are several factors that can cause slab leaks, including:
- Age of the pipes: Just like other components of your plumbing system, pipes can corrode and weaken over time, making them more susceptible to cracking.
- High water pressure: High water pressure can put stress on pipes, causing them to crack or break. Water pressure above 80 psi is considered too high.
- Tree roots: Tree roots can grow into and damage pipes.
- Shifting soil: Shifting soil can put pressure on pipes, causing them to crack or break.
- Poor water quality: Excessively acidic or alkaline water can corrode pipes and result in water leaks over time.
- Improper installation: Pipes that are not installed properly can be more susceptible to leaks.
Signs of a Slab Leak
It’s important that you know the warning signs of slab leaks so you can take quick action to prevent further damage and save money. Here are some of the telltale signs of a slab leak:
- Your water bill has suddenly increased without any change in your water usage.
- Low water pressure.
- Warm or damp spots on your floor.
- You hear the sound of running water even when no faucets are running.
- Cracks in the foundation.
- A settling or shifting foundation could mean that a slab leak is causing the soil under your foundation to erode.
- A moving water meter dial when pipes aren’t in use.
- Your once lush lawn is growing uneven.
- There’s water pooling inside or outside your home.
If you suspect a slab leak or another plumbing problem within your home, please call a reputable plumbing service for slab leak detection and repair.
How Bad Is A Slab Leak?
Slab leaks can be very bad and can cause a lot of damage to your home. If a slab leak is not repaired early enough, it can lead to:
- Water damage: Slab leaks can cause water damage to your floors, walls, and furniture.
- Mold growth: Mold can grow in areas that are damp or wet, and it can cause health problems.
- Structural damage: Slab leaks can weaken the foundation of your home and cause it to crack or settle.
- Expensive repairs: Slab leaks can be expensive to repair, and the cost will increase the longer the leak is left untreated.
Contact Mr. Rooter Plumbing For Slab Leak Detection And Repair
If you suspect that you have a slab leak, it is important to contact a qualified plumber for leak detection and repair. Mr. Rooter Plumbing has the experience and expertise to detect and repair slab leaks quickly and efficiently. We will use the latest technology to locate the source of the leak and repair it using the most effective methods. You can always count on the team at Mr. Rooter Plumbing for all of your plumbing needs, including leak detection, water leak repair, drain cleaning, pipe repair, preventive maintenance, and more.